Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Stop Motion Animation of Falling



When I first read the requirements for the assignment, I actually had a hard time trying to decide what to do. I wanted to do something that was unique based on the little toys and things I owned. I looked at my shelf and there were so many things to choose from. After considering many possibilities, I looked at my ? block from Super Mario, and I suddenly remembered I had a little Mario mushroom to go with it. Sadly, I didn't have a Mario doll to use, so I grabbed the cutest little figure I had, which is Remy from Ratatouille.

For this shot, there were many things to consider. How would Remy walk with immovable legs? How would I get him to anticipate for the jump if he couldn't bend his waist? How could I get the mushroom to look as if it is coming out of the cube? I eventually decided to go with a more cartoony walk for Remy. For the anticipation for the jump, I tilted him forward by propping dice under his head to make it look as if he were bending down. To make the mushroom look like it was emerging from the cube, I actually had to start off with a smaller blue object because the mushroom was too big to hide behind the block. I hid a smaller pompom ball behind the cube and transitioned into the mushroom.

In terms of planning, I used a ruler to calculate how far the mushroom should fall between frames. I planned it out on a separate sheet of paper, but in order to keep a clean background for my shot, I used the ruler to measure the distances along the X and Y axes to figure out out the position rather than putting marks on my background. I may have done some of my math wrong, but I did my best to fix the timing in QuickTime.

No comments:

Post a Comment